Sunday 19 October 2014

My Club Visit

My Club Visit



A few weeks ago, I decided to try out for the grade 8 girls’ volleyball club. About 30 girls tried out for the team, and only 14 of us made it. We first started out practicing our sets and bumps to ourselves, and then we split off in to multiple teams of two. All the teams of two went against each other head to head. 1 hr 30 minutes later, 10 girls were cut (they weren't invited to the next practice) and the 20 of us left were pumped for the next tryout.  The next day, we all played our hardest; diving, serving, digging, bumping and setting. Everyone fought for a spot on the team. Even though not everyone was allowed on the team our coach congratulated us on our superb effort and athletic ability. The coach told us who did and didn't make it, in front of everyone.  It was quite nerve racking because my name was one of the last names to get called upon, so I was anxiously waiting for quite some time. All the girls who didn't make it were content and still had a skip in there step. It was really refreshing to play with girls who didn't care so much about if they did or didn't make the team. They were just happy they were able to play volleyball and meet some new girls!  


                To my surprise I actually made the team, and so far I’m really enjoying the experience. We have played four games, against Lord Tweedsmuir, Holy cross, Pacific Academy, and Surrey Christian. Out of all the games we have only won 1, however we were very close to winning quite a few of them. Also ¾ of the schools we played against are private schools, which means they have been at school, practicing nearly a month longer than us. Next long weekend, we have a tournament at Lord Tweedsmuir, going against some very competitive teams, I think my team has a very good chance of beating the other teams and just playing great volleyball overall. Even after only 2 weeks of volleyball, I have already learned so many new techniques and skills that will not only help with volleyball, but will be helpful with other sports too.  Joining volleyball allows all of the girls on my team to get to know everyone better and to hopefully become great friends! 



1 comment:

  1. Very Good! In what ways are you enjoying, being on the team? I agree that joining school sports unite you with other people you haven't talked to or met. Very descriptive and I admire the way you wrote "All the girls who didn't make it were content and still had a skip in there step." Look forward to hearing more from you!

    ReplyDelete